Monday, March 30, 2009

My Adventure in Couponing

So, I have talked a little bit about starting this whole "couponing" adventure in a couple of my recent posts. Well, so far it has been an exciting and cost-saving ride! I am going to try to start posting regular posts about my savings and deals. Right now I am in the process of keeping a written log of all of the groceries I buy, how much I spend out of pocket, and how much I save. I will keep this log for a month and see how much money I have spent in comparison to what my normal monthly budget for groceries has been in the past. I am looking forward to sharing that with you towards the end of this month.

One of my most exciting trips to the store was about a week ago when I went to CVS and spent exactly 25 cents (1 quarter!!!). This is what I got for my quarter:

Two six-packs of Mott's Applesauce cups, one six-pack of Sunmaid raisins, one four-pack of Dole diced apples, and two boxes of Post Trail Mix Crunch cereal.

Here is the breakdown of how I did this:
Cereal ~ On sale B1G1 ($4.79); minus 2 coupons $2/1; Final Price $.79 for 2 boxes
Applesauce, Raisins, & Fruit ~ On sale 4/$5; minus coupon $.55/1 Mott's; Final Price 4/$4.45

Total Final Price: $5.24
Used CVS ECBs (Extra-Care Bucks) $4.99

Total Out-of-Pocket: $.25!!!!!

This is just one of the MANY deals I have gotten since I began couponing. I can't be more excited about the money I am saving. And the perk is that for the first time in years, we are eating name brand food and using quality name brand products, but paying a fraction of the cost of store-brand items. Don't get me wrong, I have NO problem with store brands....we have lived on them for YEARS! But I must say, I have enjoyed using my Dove body wash and conditioner the last couple of weeks that I got for cheaper than I normally spend on our Suave stuff!

I have also gotten quite a few freebies and some cheapies (under 50 cents) that I am saving back for gifts. I just can't say enough good things about couponing!

Here are a few things I have learned so far...

1) Always ALWAYS combine coupons with store sales!!! This is the BEST way to save money!

2) Be flexible...buy what's on sale and then plan your meals around what you have!

3) Take advantage of the CVS extra care bucks program!! It is AMAZING!

4) Buy a Sunday paper and print manufacturer coupons online here http://www.coupons.com/ and here http://www.smartsource.com/ and lots of other sites!

5) Plan, plan, plan! Don't try to do one-stop shopping...sit down and outline a plan for which stores have what sales to match up to your coupons.


That's all I have time for right now! If anyone is interested in knowing this, Kroger has ground chuck on sale until Wednesday for $1.77/lb. We took the opportunity to stock up!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have been inspired by all your couponing advice and it does feel good knowing you paid less than half the orginal price! Thanks for sharing!

The Landin's Page said...

That is awesome! I would never have thought of shopping at CVS. I am trying to find some good coupon websites so I can start saving on our grocery bills. Thanks for the two you posted I will have to check them out.

The Corey Family said...

It works! I just need to take time to make it work for us.