Monday, February 20, 2012

Homeschool thoughts

I home educate my children because it is a way that i can invest in their spiritual wellness. I am not concerned if they are social enough, smart enough, popular enough, or athletic enough. I teach all subject matter from a biblical perspective in half the time they would spend at a desk in school. This leaves us time for wonderful God experiences, like going to a Hannah and Samuel prayer set at WVIHOP, taking overnight trips to the Creation Museum, and hanging out with friends and church family who are like-minded. My children are well-rounded. They take music lessons, horse-riding lessons, and are involved in every activity and ministry available at our church. They are not shy. They are extremely social and are usually the life of the party. My oldest daughter has told me many times that she is very thankful for homeschooling because of all of the temptations and worldliness she was facing at her public school. My goal as a parent is not to see them go to the greatest college or graduate with honors or have a high paying career. My goal is to see them follow after the Lord with their whole hearts, be used mightily for his kingdom, and become men and women that will be world-changers for him. For me personally, a couple of hours every day and a few hours on the weekend is not enough. That is why I choose to homeschool. There are other factors, of course, and some do involve my experience with public school. But this is the driving force behind my motivation to homeschool. Do I feel qualified? On my own? No. With God by my side? Yes. It is a personal decision. I look down at NO ONE who chooses public school. God will equip you and enable you to make the best choice possible in your own personal circumstance, and just as he does me, he will help you follow it through. There are many great teachers in public schools, but that doesn't make homeschool teachers any less. There are many great homeschoolers out there, but that doesn't make public school bad. God gave you, as a parent, the most important stewardship of all. It is up to you what you do with it. Your goals for your children might be different than mine. And that's ok. But it doesn't make mine wrong.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love it! Very well said.