We made it through the first full week of school! It's a rough adjustment but we survived. We have a busy Saturday and Sunday planned so tonight we are going to have some family time. I reserved two $1 Disney movies at the Redbox and we're picking up pizza for dinner. I am so looking forward to just relaxing and hanging out with my family. Danny also worked his last night shift of the month last night and starts days on Monday. We have lots to celebrate! I'm just sitting here waiting for Danny and Nick to finish picking tomatoes and green beans out of the garden so I thought I would blog while I had a chance.
Today was such a beautiful day! I love this weather and wish it were like this year-round. After I took the kids to school, I got the little girls and myself ready and we went for a long walk in the park with Amber, Ellie, and Silas. It felt good to be getting some exercise. We even ate a healthy lunch at Subway! Then I took the girls to Meme's to visit for a couple hours, which was really nice.
You might remember at the beginning of the year, I was determined to get healthy and I completely changed my eating habits. I did very well for several months until I discovered how to coupon shop. When I started buying all the "cheap" foods, which are usually processed and fattening, my new habits slowly died away and my old ones were unfortunately revived. Throughout the summer, I ate terribly, gained weight back, and felt awful physically. After many nights of little sleep and days of exhaustion and fatigue, I decided it was time to get back on the wagon. To sort of detox myself, I am starting with no sweets and no caffeine until I feel able to manage them in MODERATION again. Before, I was eating 1-2 sweets per week...lately I have been eating them daily. I've also been having caffeine every chance I get. I know it's not good for me. It's so addicting, and it's scary how easy it is to slip back into it.
I am on Day 3 living with no caffeine and sweets and I must say I already feel MUCH better. I have slept soundly the last two nights and I think I am even past the withdrawal headaches.
As far as the rest of my eating habits...those will be slow changes. I can't do anything too drastic or I won't stick to it. For right now I am just skipping the desserts, drinking water, and watching my portion sizes. I really wish I could afford to go back to eating chicken for almost every meal, but the fact of the matter is...it's just not realistic. I can spend a lot less on groceries if I get what is on sale and what I have coupons for. I don't have the luxury of buying a lot of "healthy" foods. I will do the best I can with what I have and I believe God will honor that. I will try to keep you updated on how it's going.
My goal is to be healthy. To be the best version of myself I can be to bring honor and glory to God. Losing weight is just an added bonus. :-)
On another note...
Nick came home and gave me some good news today.
Nick: I got an A on my test today.
Me: That's great!
Nick: I won't be able to bring it home till next week because the A tests get hung up.
Me: You're so smart!
Nick: There were only 3 A's in the whole class and I was one of them.
Me: Wow.
Nick: 2 girls and me. I was the only boy. I guess I'm just about the smartest boy in my class. Well, I guess I might be the only smart boy in my class!
Heehee. He was so proud. (I may have been a little proud too.)
I'm so blessed to have such brilliant kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment