It's been so very long since I've posted anything relevant on this blog. Truthfully, every time I sit down to write something, I become overwhelmed by how much catching up I need to do to get my readers up to speed. As I was pondering this tonight, I realized that most of my "readers" are close friends or family members and are pretty much "caught up" on our life anyway. So, instead of a long, drawn-out post about the goings-on of the last several months, I have decided to just start with the here-and-now, so that I can get back into the swing of things.
This week has been pretty eventful for us. My husband returned home from a 13-day trip to Europe (work-related) on Thursday night. We were so excited to see him! It was the longest two-weeks of my life. Danny and I have been married since April of 1996 and have never gone more than three days without seeing each other. As silly as it seems, it was a very difficult separation for me. When we found out about the trip (which was voluntary), I struggled with the decision for a couple of days. He really felt like it would be a positive thing, as we had been praying for financial blessing and the trip would most likely allow him some overtime pay. I really didn't want him to go, but I also didn't want to stand in the way of God blessing us. So I ultimately left the decision in Danny's hands and he chose to go.
I cried and had a pity party for myself every day for the first four days. And then, slowly, I started to get a grip. And, you know what? It wasn't that bad. He was able to get a global phone and because of that, he could call and text whenever he wanted. We also started emailing each other and that experience was actually really neat. I think that I will save the emails that he sent me forever because they were so sweet. And apart from a problem with my water two days before he came home (which my dad was kind enough to fix), we had no major catastophes while he was away.
So, I survived. It wasn't all that bad. Don't get me wrong...I'm SOOO happy he's home...and I have a new respect for women whose husbands' work schedules keep them away for weeks or months at a time. And because of our obedience and walking through the door God had opened, he blessed us tremendously and Danny was able to work a lot of overtime while he was gone, including the holiday.
On Tuesday, if all goes according to plan, we are taking our first overnight trip alone together in TEN YEARS. We really need the time together with no interruptions...just to focus on each other and our marriage. Being apart really makes you realize how easy it is to forget about that. We love our kids so much and normally when we go somewhere, we prefer to do it as a family. But, let's face it...one night is not going to kill us...or the kids. They will be very happily staying at their aunt and uncle's house for the night, probably having much more fun than they would be with us. :-)
So...what else happened this week?
Hmmm. In no particular order...
Well, Hallie got her first haircut...(and the other kids got haircuts, too)...
We started school...(did I mention we are homeschooling ALL of our kids this year??)...
Nick played his first football game of the season...
Hailey went to a slumber party...
We started co-op classes, which the kids LOVED...
We had a little bday party for my friend Sarah when we taught the toddler class at church Wednesday night...
We've had our windows open and the air off all week because the weather's finally been nice and cool...
Hallie attempted to change her own dirty diaper without my knowledge..."No, Hallie, that's not chocolate on your hands..." AND dumped a bowl of cereal down a vent...
I wish I could post pictures but for some reason Blogger is not cooperating. Maybe tomorrow?
:-)
No comments:
Post a Comment